I was looking at an article this week that was a test to see how much STRESS is in your life – so I thought I would take it —
- Do you ever feel overwhelmed and confused? (Never /sometimes/ often/ always)
- Do you have difficulty sleeping?
- Do you find yourself worn out at the end of the day?
- Do you have increased digestive problems?
- Do you feel self-conscience of inadequate?
- Do you have difficulty concentrating, making decisions, or remembering things?
- When things don’t go well do you get angry and aggressive?
- Do you eat more food or drink to make yourself feel better or at ease…. I stopped at that one…. Why would anyone take this test?????
From this article I was painfully aware that this society is in need of sleep – that we are all under stress – that we have pressures pulling on us from all directions. We need a ‘Quiet Space’.
We live in a time of high stress, but life has been filled with pressures throughout history. There has never been a time without stress and conflict. We read of this same struggle in the Bible. We ALL have the need to ‘be quiet’ … to take some time to pray … to take some time to reflect… to take some time to create … to take some time to listen… to take some time to find joy. That is my goal for February for myself and for each of you. Find your ‘Quiet Space(s)!’
Quiet Spaces look different to different people, so think about what gives you life. Think about what allows you to see God at work in your life, and work to set some time aside to focus on that part of your day. God has given us to ability and the opportunity to ‘BE Quiet’ – to take some time apart to regroup and become strengthened by God EACH DAY.
Each of our lists will be different. You may find a ‘QUIET SPACE’ in gardening or reading, in drawing or coloring, in writing or praying, in cooking or music, in walking or quilting, in journaling or Yoga, or taking a ride and looking at God’s beauty around you, in sitting by the fire, or reading a devotional. Wherever you find your QUIET space remember that God has provided you with that space and you (we) will be stronger and more able to be the person God created you to be if you include this practice through out the year (and lifetime).
IT IS MY GOAL to identify my quiet space (or spaces) and intentionally move to them throughout each day.
Let me know how this works for you and we can enlarge those areas in our lives that allow us to step out of the ‘rapids’ and have time to hear God speaking to us each day.
Blessings as you (we) move through February!